Assistant or Associate Professor of Instructional Design & Technology Department of Instruction & Curriculum Leadership
We are seeking an Assistant or Associate Professor for a tenure-track position in Instructional Design and Technology (IDT).
Responsibilities will include
• Conducting research and generating and disseminating new knowledge
• Teaching graduate and undergraduate courses (primarily online)
• Advising doctoral students and chairing dissertation committees (based on qualifications)
• Securing external funding for projects
Our program is recognized nationally for excellence and innovation. Our primary offerings are our master’s and doctoral degrees, which are completely online. We have a Certificate in IDT with tracks in Educational Technology, and Design and Development. We have a strong history of partnering with local companies and organizations, and there are many opportunities to engage with the business and professional community. We have several advanced lab and work spaces for product development and media production. You can learn more about our program and faculty at http://idt.memphis.edu.
• A doctoral degree in instructional design, educational technology, or a closely related field, awarded no later than August 15th, 2015
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution
• Expertise (both in teaching and research interests) in one or more of the following areas: online teaching and course development, e-learning, PreK-12 education, designing instruction in non-school environments (business, non-profit, health care, military, etc.).
• Experience, commitment, and demonstrated effectiveness in teaching online
• Practical, demonstrable experience in project management, consulting, media production, authoring tools, and
instructional design for a variety of environments, audiences, and clients
• Success in scholarly publication
• An identifiable and focused research agenda
• Experience obtaining external funding and managing funded projects
The University of Memphis is a comprehensive, Carnegie-designated “research-extensive” and community engaged public university serving approximately 20,000 students, with an attractive campus environment. The Memphis metropolitan area has a population of over 1,300,000. Memphis features a large tourist industry, major airport, vibrant entertainment scene, abundant parks and recreation, low cost of living, and is the home of organizations such as FedEx, AutoZone, International Paper, ServiceMaster, and St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. There are many opportunities for partnerships with industry, cultural, health care, non-profit, and educational entities. Learn more about living in Memphis at: www.memphischamber.com/Community.aspx
The University of Memphis, a Tennessee Board of Regents Institution, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We urge all qualified applicants to apply for this position. Appointment will be based on qualifications as they relate to position requirements without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. The successful candidate must meet guidelines of the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986.
The University of Memphis, a TBR institution, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
We urge all qualified applicants to apply for this position. Appointment will be based on qualifications as they relate to position requirements without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, gender, handicap or veteran status. The successful candidate must meet guidelines of the Immigration and Reform Control Act of 1986.”
SALARY & BEGINNING DATE
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Position #002470 is a nine-month tenure-track appointment with excellent opportunities for summer research and/or teaching being optional. The anticipated date of appointment is August 2015. The University offers an excellent benefits package, including healthcare and retirement. The state of TN currently has no state income tax and the Memphis area has a very reasonable cost of living.
Pending available funding, screening will begin November 14th, 2014, and may continue until the position is filled. The successful applicant will join the faculty in August 2015. We anticipate conducting online screening with a short list of applicants, and inviting finalists for an interview in person.
To apply, submit a letter of application, current curriculum vitae and contact information (email and phone) for three references to http://workforum.memphis.edu. No other method of application will be considered.
Your letter of application should specifically address your qualifications for the position. Indicate whether you are applying for Assistant or Associate rank, based on your experience as a scholar. In your letter you should also delineate both your experience and your agenda in terms of research, external funding, teaching, and professional service. Your letter should be limited to one to three pages in length. You may include URLs to publications, projects, etc. but your letter should stand on its own as a comprehensive summary of your scholarly identity.
If you have questions, contact the search committee chair, Dr. Trey Martindale, at firstname.lastname@example.org